Saturday, January 30, 2010

Let it snow...


Had a little scare this AM. We got up to a winter wonderland, and we were all snuggily buggily and ready to talk to Leah, since Randy saw she had called at 7:37 in the AM, which is 8:37 PM her time. We called her and she didn't answer. An hour later she still wasn't answering. Randy didn't seemed to be worried. He told me that she said she'd call us when she got home. Well, Detective Mom saw that she had already written her blog, and mentioned getting off the MRT, so I knew she'd been home. I finally looked at her email after I'd played the video in my head as to what could have happened and it said, "I'll call you in a few hours." So, I did what any good mother would do. I went and took my shower and started mentally packing to prepare for my trip to Singapore. I figured my sister Linda would meet us half way to take Mollie, and I would just clean until Randy had made the arrangements to go. I had plenty of time to think in there, and knew the next step was if she did call and was being held captive, I had to learn how to take a picture of her, not of us, which I know how to do on Skype. I informed a couple of friends via email, because misery really does love company, and I waited, and waited and waited; prayed a lot too.

She finally called around midnight her time...which is just too late for her. (She is an early bird to bed like her dad.) The American contingency finally decided they were never going to be able to get together as a group unless they just all decided to meet for dinner after work in spite of their odd hours, so that's what they did. She said, "I told you I'd call you later so you wouldn't worry!" Whew! I tell you the older she gets, the more she is able to just smile off my protectiveness. (Notice I didn't say "over-protectiveness." No sir, if I were over-protective she wouldn't be there.)

On the other note, namely Matthew, it was 6 weeks ago that he was here and he and Randy were walking up Meadowlark at 4:30 PM because their car had gone off the road and slid into the field there en route from Florida. (Due to the last snow.) It was just another McCann adventure, and we celebrated with hot wings and french fries, one of his favorite meals. And so to commemorate his 6 week anniversary and our second BIG snow, we had the same meal tonight.

And finally, to end our day of fun, we recovered the seat cushions of the four mahogany chairs I purchased at the Gray Estate Yard Sale back in October, and put them up at the game table upstairs in the library. Next step was to try them out, so we played three games of checkers. Ran won first, and I won the next two, with the last game leaving me 7 red queens and 2 un-queened, not to rub it in. I guess he felt he had to win the next games, so we played gin rummy, which I didn't know how to play. So he must be a great teacher, because 3 plays later I had gin rummy. He said it doesn't usually happen that fast, and he was right, it took me about 6 more plays to beat him the next hand. It's my new favorite game, but he said we're not playing it anymore, so I guess marbles will be our next new game to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment