Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Reason for the Season

Our first Christmas here at Brookberry Farm was a life-saver for me. It took my mind off of myself. I have learned that when a person starts to focus too much on themselves, unless they are trying to sort through giving up an unwanted personality trait like selfishness, etc., then they could be getting ready to step into the "depths of despair," we've all heard about. It doesn't take long go get to the "depth" part, which usually entails just putting your foot into the hole to begin with. It often starts with a thought, and peering into the "What if?" and then before you know it, you are swirling through the tunnel with all the mud and rocks around you, and wondering, "What am I going to do now?" I say this because there were years where I was singing right along with Elvis that I was going to have a "Blue Christmas." And I did. I let the hurry-scurry of the holidays deplete my joy. I was too tired to be happy. In fact, there was one Christmas where I hurriedly fixed Christmas Eve dinner for everyone, herded them into the car to go to the Christmas Eve service, and sat fuming in my seat, saying, "I hate Christmas," to myself. Our pastor looked back at me sitting in my sulkiness and mouthed, "Are you OK?" Every part of my body yelled, "NO," as my mouth formed the word. In fact, I couldn't wait for Christmas to be over, because if "Jesus was the reason for the season," I was not seeing Him anywhere, so why bother?

I've since realized that my expectations for myself and others were way too high. Everything does not have to be perfect. Go with the flow and you will be a happier person. Have you ever gone down "The Lazy River" at a water park? (The word "lazy" is what entices me, because it insinuates no responsibility on my part.) What's the point? You let the flow of the water take you wherever it will because you know there is a force that carries you and you will eventually end up right where you started, or you can even just keep on going, and can hop out wherever you want. You may bump into a few people, but nobody's yelling at you, because they all know that the current affects each one of us. It's a journey. Why not just do what you can to maneuver your inner tube, out of kindness to others, and then enjoy the ride?

I've got another saying on my wall right below the pictures of Leah and Matthew upstairs, which reminds me not to worry about them down in Florida. It says, "Life is a journey and only God holds the map." It used to say, "and only you hold the map." That is a terrifying thought to me...that I would be solely responsible for my future. I AM totally responsible for my actions, but I am so thankful that I KNOW who holds the map.


We had a marvelous time together that first Christmas here in Winston Salem, but it just went too fast, and our children were back in Florida before we knew it. Connie & Larry stayed an extra day, so we took them to see one our many North Carolina wineries. If you've never been to one and want to just drive up and look, it's OK. We've done it many times. The vistas are absolutely beautiful, especially in the summer when the grapes, in all their luxuriance, are hanging on happily to their vines, anticipating there is a greater purpose than for others to just behold their beauty. They are ripe for the harvest, and therefore ready to fulfill their purpose for being. Meditation: We have to remember that the grape is not evil in and of itself, but the magnitude of its use is what we must consider. Eating too many grapes or too much grape jelly or jam (sugar) is not good for anyone, especially a diabetic, or someone who is overweight. The same with wine and grape juice, or anything else for that matter. These things may make you ill, as can anything in excess. This is an area where each person must look within to determine what is best for them. Abstinence may even be your path, and that's never a bad thing if it keeps you healthy and out of trouble. I challenge you to give yourself a healthy once-over to see if there is anything that has an excessive hold on you. It may not even have anything to do with what you eat or drink, but may concern how you think and act. If you find something, turn in the other direction and walk away from the hole. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks - that Lazy River is a great analogy; we all need to remember that this space we occupy is not ours and we have no need of perfection...we need to stop demanding it from ourselves and from others. I know I do. My best is enough and tomorrow that may mean I go to the bookstore and browse.

    ReplyDelete