Thursday, March 11, 2010

I hate being wishy washy, but...

I'm back to having two books. (I've come a long way from having three in the works.) I'm out of the BBF one and putting all that information into the "Meditations from Brookberry Farm" book. I can write from the flow in my head with that book because it is truly life as I see it on the farm. So, I will just stick to the facts and hopefully be able to augment them with beautiful pictures.

I am currently writing the "Christmas at Brookberry Farm" chapter. I hope I can adequately evoke the sights, sounds, tastes, smells and activities of this house full of rambunctious boys as they carry on their Christmas traditions, which always started with Christmas pictures being taken at Roaring Gap on Labor Day weekend. All the cousins (Gordon Gray's boys were included as well.) were dressed in their Sunday best and instructed to take their places seated on the stairs. Each step indicated an age range with the youngest being on the lower step, and obvious age-progression with each new step toward the upper landing. I look at their faces and see nothing but innocence, but I know from the stories that it's just temporary. :)

Well, just wanted to let you know the BBF book is back to coffee-table format. It's almost time for my friend and artist, Susan Steele, to paint the entrance on our side of the farm where there's a gate that separates us from the actual estate. (The place where I determined that I would have to write this book or be forever regretful.) We're waiting for what looks to be a weeping cherry to burst into bloom. I've never seen anything so tranquil in my life as this winding road with a stream to boot, pasture fences and, and a beautiful frame of trees that lead up to the gate with the "No Trespassing" sign. I LOVE IT!

Hope you all have a safe and FUN weekend. Hope it's not raining in your neck of the woods, but if it is...just curl up with a book you've been putting off reading and escape to a happy place.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, your the first person to ever say that they loved the sign! Most just tear them down and hop the fence and leave beer bottles behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't drink beer...would NEVER think of littering, even if I did drink beer, and I am having too much fun anticipating when I get to walk through that gate for the first time! (I hope to have it opened when my friend paints, if it's not an inconvenience.)

    ReplyDelete