Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thankful to be Thankful

As you can see, I am on hiatus from writing about anything based on one particular topic lately. I have had a lot on my plate, but it's all fun stuff. First off, the Amos Cottage Pie sale is going to be coming to an end in approximately 18 hours. We sold an assortment of almost 600 pies, which included Moravian chicken, chicken with veggies, pumpkin, apple and pecan. Mrs. Pumpkin and her helpers baked them all. Leah flew in today from Orlando, and she will be helping me hand out pies at Mrs. Pumpkin's facility in about 9 hours. (It's 1:13 AM, and I decided to write for a few minutes.)

Another activity, and probably THE MOST FUN THING I've been a part of in a long time, took place last night. One of my new friends of 2 years here just turned 50. Her husband threw her a beautiful surprise party at Graylyn. (Google "Graylyn in Winston Salem.") I was asked to do the decorations, which was a privilege for me. It was especially rewarding because, the book I am feverishly gathering information for is tied to this specific estate. It is located across the street from Reynolda House, the "bungalow" of R. J. Reynolds, tobacco king. (Does Winston & Salem ring a bell?)

Back to Graylyn. Upon arrival, you are met by the valet and butler. It's just too cool...like something out of "The Great Gatsby." The reception was held in a beautifully dark-paneled study, with a toasty fire blazing at the far end of the room, and a pianist playing throughout the night at the opposite end. Candles and small vases of red roses and freesias were sprinkled everywhere throughout the room, giving it a most romantic quality. From this room, we entered the enclosed stone porch with arched windows, that looked out over the beautiful grounds. The tables were covered in white, with white china and silver utensils. What would complete the party decor better than a black napkin laid in the center with a rose bowl full of 14 partially opened red roses right up above the lip, 4 votives at each corner of the napkin that were small versions of the rose bowls, and pontif shaped black napkins sitting at the center of each plate. It was gloriously beautiful if I do say so myself. (I got the idea when we were guests at the PGA Spa down in West Palm Beach, compliments of Phillip Morris...is that ironic or what? Bernadette Peters was the entertainment of the night, but I thought it was the centerpieces. I couldn't take my eyes off of them!) Another friend and I walked the woods and pulled up still-green honeysuckle vines, stripped them, and placed them in the bowls to dry a few weeks ago. For those of you who want a beautiful effect, roll about 6 of them, all different lengths, around your hand and place them in the bowl. They give the roses a place to nestle and add interest to just a bowl of stems. Grape vine, or any vine works as far as I know.

I didn't have anything to do with the cake, which was out of this world, but it too, was a work of art. All in all, it was a most fun culmination of honoring a wonderful person. It's a wonderful thing to work in one's sweet spot!

Lastly, our ladies' Bible study group is making armchair pouches for one of our area nursing homes. We are making 70 of them. Sounds very simple, doesn't it? One of our ladies is very talented when it comes to sewing and designing just about anything with fabric. She designed and orchestrated a plan for all of us to meet at the clubhouse across the street after our last Bible study. We hoped to have them completed in a day or so. She had the large conference room so organized, you would think it was Santa's workshop. We all busily applied ourselves to our individual tasks and by the end of the day, I believe we had completed ONE. Here we are two days later and we are only half through. Each one takes an hour and a half, but they don't show seams! Needless to say, those of us who take the path of least resistance are being stretched beyond our limits, but it has all proved to be fun and we've all learned something to boot...and that's that WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT, but we can CHOOSE to be committed to a good cause and complete it with excellence.

Ran just woke up and came looking for me. (I've told him he should do that as long as I've got these cough spells going on. I could be passed out somewhere in the house for all he knew, gasping for breath.) I'm at the end of this, I hope, and this is the first time he's ever gotten up. Here's the analogy that comes to mind: you can teach an old dog new tricks, BUT they may be a little delayed the older the dog. It's very cold here and rainy. My feet are a block of ice, so I am going to go and warm them on his warm legs while he is still in a groggy state. He's very kind like that. I hope you all are rested for the new day and are blessed to pieces with happy, unexpected surprises.

(Bo, I would love for you to make some comments on your history and Graylyn, if you will.) AS MANY AS YOU WANT. I can't think of anything more interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Completed in 1931, Graylyn was first donated to what was the Bowman Gray School of Medicine (name was changed in 1998) in 1961 after my Great Grandmother, Nathalie aka Gaga died. It fell into disrepair and was used for many things including fraternity parties etc. My Great Uncle Gordon bought it back from WFUBMC and donated it to the university on the same day. It has been a conference center since. It burned in 1984 during an outdoor concert on the lawn and was completely restored over the next two years. I have stayed there many times while traveling back and forth from Minnesota before my return home and participated in some large events on the grounds. Wake Forest and John Wise have done an amazing job managing what they still refer to as "Mr. Gray's House".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It's nice to know Graylyn is still being used for "parties." Sounds like they are a little more sophisticated now, though!

    ReplyDelete