Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Not just the "Captain of the Neighborhood Watch"


Maurice Duke Ferrara was born June 15, 1914 in New York. He served on various ships of the United Stats Navy. He was Commander the USS Gar (SS-206), the USS Tambor (SS-198), The USS Finback (SS-30) and Commanded the USS Gearing (DD-710) from July 25, 1951 to February 4, 1953. He then became Commander of the Naval Station & FTC San Diego California. He was awarded the Legion of Merit, a Bronze Star Medal and the Navy Commendation Medal. He retired in 1962. Maurice Ferrara died December 31, 1987 in San Diego, California.

OBITUARY: The San Diego Tribune, January, 1, 1988 - A mass for retired Navy Capt. Maurice Ferrara, 73 of Loma Portal, will be said at 1 p.m. tomorrow in St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery. Goodbody Mortuary is in charge. He died yesterday in a hospital. Capt. Ferrara was born in New York City, was a resident of the county for 40 years, Graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and retired from the Navy in 1962. He was a member of the Submarine Veterans of World War II , the retired Officers Association, the Naval Academy Alumni Association, the Naval Academy Athletic Association and sports Association of San Diego County.
He served on the boards of the Kiwanis Club of San Diego, the Kiwanis Foundation and the Metropolitan YMCA.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; four sons, Duke, Tom, Jim and Mike, and a daughter Judy Atkins, all of San Diego; a brother Polly, and two sisters, Pauline Snyder and Anne Maccarrone, all of San Diego; and eight grandchildren. The family suggested donations to the Kiwanis Foundation or the San Diego Hall of Champions.

Maurice "Duke" Ferrara lived across the street from us in San Diego, Pt. Loma specifically, right down from the Naval Training Center. I remember meeting him for the first time as he stood outside walking an old friend to his car. Duke spoke first welcoming us into the neighborhood and then put out his hand and said, "I'm Duke Ferrara, Captain of the neighborhood watch," in a strong confident voice. I was 26 years old and Randy was 30. I wasn't quite sure what the Captain of the Neighborhood Watch did, but I can tell you I didn't fear too much in those days knowing Duke was on watch directly from across the street. He was retired military and I never knew until this day, as I thought about true heroes who have fought to retain our freedom, what he did exactly. The little piece up above does little to identify the expanse of his military career.

I remember vividly when he told us all about his pending trip to the Phillipines to be honored by Fernando Marcos in appreciation of what the American forces had done all those years ago to help them in their time of need. Duke's rendition of the story gave us all chill bumps as he recounted how his sub had gone in and saved the day. He was enamored with all the red carpet treatment and festivities done in their honor, along with a statuary of some kind erected on the beach, proclaiming their names and offices. They were given gifts and pictures to commemorate their time there.

It was shortly thereafter that things turned upside down in the Phillipines under Marcos' rule and the relations with the United States was severed, but Duke Ferrara remained faithful to his small part in the annals of loyalty to God and country and looked past the human frailty of others and remained steadfast in proclaiming there's good in every body. I salute today, Duke Ferrara, Captain of the Neighborhood Watch and am thankful to have known him and called him "FRIEND."

5 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool. I always thought this guy was made-up. Guess I was wrong for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What else would you like to know if it is real or not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome to read, Debbie -- thanks for sharing! We just don't know the walk others have taken in life - I recently attended a viewing for a relative who was part of my step-family and saw all the photos, medals, and momentos of his tours during WWII -- I had no clue, but was blessed to know him and his wife. Thanks again! La-ti-ci-a!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maurice was my great grandfather. He had passed before I was born, although I do remember his wife and Judy is my grandmother.
    In times of hardship and uncertainty, looking back at my heritage has been something of a comfort for me. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wonderful legacy. of strength, courage and love. I remember meeting your mom and uncles on occasion. Everyone was always so friendly. You have everything in you to become an overcomer of any hardship life may send your way. I say that because I too have surmounted many obstacles, and turned them into opportunities to honor my own mother's strong spirit. Thank you so much for responding to his. My best regards to your family.

      Delete