Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve with the Moravians

Oh what a wonderful Christmas we have had. We were invited to the Needham's, neighbors of ours here at Brookberry Farm, to an Open House, then those who wanted joined them for Christmas Eve services at one of our local Moravian churches. It was so neat. The only thing missing was Leah's presence, as she is in Singapore, but God has big Hands, and we knew she was fine. We got to the church at 6:00. I noticed on the marquee that it said services started at 8 PM. I asked Lynda, again, what time services were and she repeated, "7:30." I told her the marquee said, "8:00," so we asked one of the few church volunteers there at 6:15, what time services were. "Eight o'clock, he replied." I loved how we all smiled and sat down near the front, since we were the only ones there other than them and the pastor. It didn't matter. It was simply decorated for Christmas with only four colors evident in the whole church...white walls, woodwork--including pews, and the dark trim atop the white, and red and green decorations. (The carpet appeared to be a light green, as did the cushions on the pews, but I could be wrong, as it was dimly lit.) It was a wonderful time to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.

The hand-dipped beeswax candles, probably made in Old Salem, one of the first Moravian Settlements here in North Carolina, were evident at the front of the church with the beautiful red ribbons adorning each of them. It's quite a sight. I wish I had taken a picture since I had so much time. There was a white multifaceted star over the pulpit where the pastor, Rev. Dr. Worth Green, delivered the message, which was simple and very personable. He commented on the 2nd stanza of "Away in a Manger," and it was profound, but I didn't write it down. I went back(4 days later) and looked at the song and decided I liked the last stanza the best because it reminds me of Christ's eternal qualities. "Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay Close by me forever, and love me, I pray. Bless all the dear children in thy tender care, And take us to heaven, to live with Thee there." (Pastor Green, please comment in the comment section to offer explanation for our enrichment. Thank you.)

We were singing carols throughout the service and Rev. Green commented prior to his message that we were all Moravians on Christmas Eve. It made us all smile as he called for the different denominations to stand. (We jumped at the chance to go with the Needham's to this special service because we had heard so much about it.) I have to admit that I was curious, after learning about Moravian history in seminary, and that Jan Hus was a predecessor to Martin Luther. Google Jan Hus, or John Huss. He challenged Catholic ecclesiology, the study of theology and the Christian church, and was eventually burned at the stake for his "heretical" views.

This is my best recollection of what took place: The service began with us all singing, "O Come All Ye Faithful," then the Lovefeast was served right after the reading of the Christmas Story in Luke 2. In essence, the lovefeast has been one of their practices since the first century Church and is a symbol of their agape love for one another, just as Holy Communion is to show our love for Christ. Double doors were opened at the front on each side of the podium and ladies dressed in white with small hats atop their heads, came out with long baskets of bread, which were shaped like a doughnut without a hole. They were passed down each pew and all the ladies returned through the double doors together, after serving everyone. More singing, then the doors were opened again and there were the ladies standing, each with a man who held a huge tray of coffee cups, which were handed down the rows one at a time. Inside the cup was the most delicious cup of coffee I have ever had, each having been laced with a little sugar and cream. How they got all those coffee cups prepared and still steaming hot I will never know. We sang prior to the blessing, which was this simple prayer, "Come, Lord Jesus, our Guest to be, and bless these gifts bestowed by thee. Bless thy dear ones everywhere, and keep them in thy loving care. Amen." I personally think this should be every Christian's Christmas prayer, in lieu of preparing for a Santa who will never appear. How novel...honoring Jesus and thanking Him for His gifts: salvation, life everlasting, all we have and are...especially His grace that is sufficient for each new day if we but trust Him. Christmas was never meant to be what it has become. My prayer is that we all take a look within and without ourselves and do our best to our little part to make a big difference in the Name of Jesus.

The service was drawing to a close, when once again, the men and women came through the doors and passed out red beribboned hand-dipped beeswax candles for each of us and we all sang, "Christ the Lord," holding our candles high at the end when we got to the last stanza, which says, "Praise the Lord, God our Salvation, Praise Him Who retrieved our loss; Sing, with awe, and love's sensation, Hallelujah, God with us."

The candles were then extinguished and we all remained standing as the choir sang "The Hallelujah Chorus." We were commissioned to go out and be a Light to the world, and I walked out glowing and ready to go. It was the very best Christmas Eve I have ever had. "The stress of old has passed away, never to return I pray. Likewise that's my prayer for you, to daily reflect on Christ anew."

2 comments:

  1. Your conversion to a North Carolinian and more importantly a Winston-Salemite is now complete. Next year I'd like to suggest the service at Moravian Home in Old Salem.

    Merry New Year to you, Randy and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to check it out for next year. Thanks, and Happy New Year to you and yours. D.

    ReplyDelete